LivingWorks Extra-Curricular Activities expose students to a variety of new experiences, and currently include an art class, an international cooking class and a newly piloted mentoring program. Interested students also have the opportunity to participate in a weekly Bible study.
The CREATE Mentoring Program gives students the opportunity to examine their identities as individuals, family members, community members and global citizens. With their mentors, students participate in 25 weekly sessions which culminate in a student-led final project.
LivingWorks Peacemakers Program has been in existence since 2009. The mission of Peacemakers is to empower people to live in peace by training youth and adults in verbal and physical skills for preventing violence and transforming conflict.
What we teach:
- Thinking skills (how to perceive and analyze conflict)
- Verbal skills (how to speak in assertive and de-escalating ways)
- Physical skills (how to place, coordinate, and move one’s body)
- Socials skills (how to cooperate with and belong to a positive social group)
How we teach:
- Verbal and physical exercises, including defensive martial arts
- Role playing exercises
- Storytelling to illustrate effective transformation of violence